Interested in purchasing a property in the Hawley, PA area? Now is a fantastic time as the real estate market has been on fire lately. It certainly serves as an opportune time to go house hunting. Whether you’re buying a new house as a primary residence, vacation home, or as an investment, you need to come up with a game plan before buying a home in or near Hawley, PA.
Our team understands the importance of helping you as you navigate the present PA real estate market. If you are looking for help with Hawley PA real estate decisions, reach out to us today. Our team of experienced professionals is here to help you in buying the best property according to your needs.
Now let’s take a look at the various aspects you should watch out for when it comes to your open house visits in the Hawley, PA, area.
Inspecting a Home in Hawley PA is Critical
Inspecting a home is a crucial stage in the home buying process. A home inspection can save you from unpleasant surprises and can even give you the edge while bargaining in the final stage. This allows you to experience the property description on the listing in person.
That said, some homebuyers don’t know what to look out for. Many spend the time looking at the house’s layout and the brands of the home appliances. While these aspects can be important, there are other aspects that buyers should focus on more.
Home sellers and seller agents often clean and upgrade the homes before buyers arrive. Some even use certain elements to hide defects. These may include:
- Staging furniture to hide dead space and mask problematic areas.
- Using perfumes and air fresheners to cover-up odors.
- Installing the latest appliances to distract home buyers from other defects.
Experienced home buyers know these gimmicks, so they are rarely distracted. The following simple guide reveals what seasoned home buyers and inspectors look out for in an open house.
What to Look for During an Open House
If you are a first-time buyer looking for an affordable home, you might feel pressured into buying a home because it may seem like a good deal. The best way to avoid this is to be patient. Even if the seller’s agent tells you someone else is interested in the property, take your time during the inspection.
In some cases, you might only be able to visit the property once before the seller presses you (directly or indirectly) for a financial commitment. Here are some key pieces of advice to help you move through the home inspection process like a pro.
Do Some Background Research
Inspecting a home begins before you even arrive at the home. You should conduct some background research to know if the house is worth your time. Here are some actions to take:
- Google the home: Type in the home address into Google Maps and look at the neighborhood. You should also google the town to see if it’s a town you would like to invest in.
- Get physical verification: Go to the Registry of Deeds website and check for information on the property. You should also check the chain of ownership, that is, previous owners and the periods in which they owned the home.
- Explore the neighborhood: Drive by the community to see what amenities they offer if you have the time. If you have children, check out the parks and schools. You can also check out the local churches, grocery shops, and other compelling elements nearby.
If you are looking for more information and data relating to your prospective property, it’s always a good idea to work with your real estate agent at Pocono Real Estate today. We ensure to provide you with our thorough research on properties in Hawley PA and surrounding areas so that you have the best home buying experience in Hawley PA.
Check out the Home’s Appearance and Surroundings
Before you walk through the front door, take a good look at the home to see if it looks level. A leaning chimney or slant windows can indicate something is wrong with the foundation.
Other aspects you want to look out for are:
- Trees growing too close to the home
- Old roof or roof with inconsistent coloring
- Leaning pillars
- Poorly marinated properties on either side of the house
- Sloping topography
- Large cracks in the foundation
- Holes in the front stairs
These are all critical aspects to pay attention to in Hawley, PA, as professionals with real estate licenses will note that these details are critical in homes for sale in Hawley, PA. In short, you want to make sure that the house is properly cared for and that it does not have any structural defects.
Inspect the Basement
When looking at homes for sale in Hawley, PA, make sure to inspect the basement in detail.
The rooms and furniture can be upgraded easily. The basement, however, can reveal the actual state of a home. Here are some things to look out for:
- Signs of rodent infestation. This can cause you great discomfort and can add to pest control costs.
- Price tags on pipes and components indicate the unprofessional job and state of the plumbing and electrical systems
- Water stains and signs of obvious repairs
- Cracks in the foundation
- An old heating or cooling system – anything older than 30 years should be replaced
- The odor from corners in the basement
Take a Tour of the Home
When you are finished with the surroundings and the home, observe the house as a whole. Don’t be distracted by popular appliances brands in the kitchen or the living room. You should take your time in each room. You should never be hurried during an inspection.
- look through the closets to ensure they are the right fit for your wardrobe.
- Check the windows for reliability and durability.
- Get into the attic and check for a leaking roof or damp decking.
You should not be afraid to ask questions. If you get evasive or unsatisfactory answers, it may mean the seller is hiding something.
Here are a few questions to ask:
- Is this home suitable for raising children or the elderly? (if you have any)
- Is there sloping in any of the rooms?
- Are the windows newly installed? (Follow up by asking for the date of installation regardless of whether the windows are new or not)
When looking at homes for sale in the Hawley, PA area, you want to be aware of a wide variety of aspects. You can be sure to find Hawley PA real estate that meets your needs, but it is certain to do so with some level of caution and due diligence.
Work with Pocono Real Estate Today
In conclusion, make notes while going through the house tour. Take notice of defects and share them with your home inspector. Many problems can be fixed, but knowing them can help you get a better price. Furthermore, you are saving yourself from unnecessary surprises.
The right real estate brokerage firms and their real estate agents will help you identify properties that are right for you. Our team is here to assist you and save your time by recommending the houses best suited to your needs.
We consider all of your requirements, whether they are related to the height of the ceilings, front door specifications, types of window glass, or types of tiling of the front porch in your desired municipality. Reach out to our realtors at Pocono Real Estate, who will continuously work for you in your selected neighborhoods.
We got you covered with our resources such as multiple listing services, our real estate listings held, information on status price drop events, and more.